Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Back Again

Oh hey! It has been a while. I have been soul searching and realized I truly miss blogging. So here I am - let me catch you up!

The big news - I am pregnant.  I am 26 weeks pregnant to be exact.  This was not exactly a planned pregnancy nor was it a big surprise.  Albeit, it was a rocky road in the beginning which was to be expected as any natural pregnancy or pregnancy has been a major trigger in the terms of anxiety after the losses we had been through. 

I had experienced a drastic decrease in breast milk production, but I figured this was from dealing with the stress and grief of my Mother's death.  This was not my first inkling that I was pregnant.  My first inkling was an ice cream craving. I decided to dig out one of my many pregnancy tests from beneath my bathroom counter one morning and tested. I was indeed pregnant, but then realized the test was expired. I walked around the next couple of days in a daze alongside my husband who was also in a daze of "wow... we could be having a baby next year, this is super exciting but also super scary". I tested shortly after using a First Response and I was indeed pregnant. 

I made an OB appointment where we saw a flickering heartbeat. 

The next couple of weeks were rough. I had begun bleeding. I know spotting/bleeding during pregnancy can be completely normal but looking back to my history this was never the case.  My OB was great with scheduling a couple of extra ultrasounds to keep me afloat.  They had no reason for the bleeding.  I was instructed to 'take it easy' but honestly how was that to happen when we had planned to host Thanksgiving, Lucia's First Birthday and Christmas Eve in the span of a month?

We decided to keep this news between us, MIL, FIL and my sister who I had plan to recruit to assist me with the upcoming events we were hosting.

The spotting/bleeding stopped shortly after Lucia's 1st birthday, but the anxiety was still extremely heavy. After consulting with maternal fetal medicine we had decided to scheduled a CVS to ensure the baby was not carrying any chromosomal abnormalities as was the case with our prior pregnancy losses.  Sure, we had other noninvasive options but they were screening options that could ultimately lead to a CVS or amnio.  It just made sense for our mental stability to go straight to a CVS. 

The procedure was pretty much painless. I expected much worse.  The waiting for results was excruciating. We received the preliminary results (FISH) which included the gender approximately a week later. I will never forget the moment my husband received the call.  We were at the pediatrician with Lucia for a sudden rash (which happened to just be due to a virus she had earlier) and my husband said 'normal boy'. Are eyes welled up with tears of happiness.  At this point we began to feel good about this pregnancy, but were still hesitant. 

We received the full results shortly after Christmas - 46,XY and announced to everyone shortly after. 


& soon there would be four
   

No comments:

Post a Comment