Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A Male Skintervention

Over the last 5-6 years I have slowly adopted a more clean (sans as many bad chemicals as possible) personal care routine. I have slowly traded these products with more natural or even homemade alternatives. My husband on the other hand has taken a bit longer to come around, but he has made major strides in the last year or so. Believe it or not he is extremely brand loyal when it comes to personal care products and persuading him to make the switch has not always been that easy. I always give the personal advice of "time and space" for women hoping to revamp their male companions personal care regimen into something a bit more natural.

Here are a few of my husband's natural must haves.  As I said he is quite particular so I have faith that the new products exceeded his expectations and most importantly have much less chemicals and fragrances.
  • My husband once swore by Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub, and now uses Burt's Bees Peach and Willowbark Scrub. The switch was gradual until the day the Burt's Bees ran out and I told him he should still have some Biore in the closet.  This is when he confessed he prefers to use the Burt's Bees.
  • Right Guard Deodorant Clear Fresh Scent has been replaced by homemade coconut oil based deodorant scented with one of his favorite essential oil scents Frankincense. He would bathe in Frankincense if given the chance.  So when my sister-in-law forwarded to me her favorite coconut oil deodorant recipe I decided to add something to entice him which was the Frankincense essential oil.  It worked! I will definitely share the recipe in a future post.
  • Body Wash (the more chemically fragrance laden the better) has been replaced by Valor scented bar soap and Every Man Jack Body Wash.  In the near future, I hope to make a homemade Valor body wash with hopes of a more affordable alternative.
  • Cologne has been replaced by his all time favorite essential oil Valor. I really thought I would miss Issey Miyake, but there came a point when him wearing the fragrance actually made me itch!  I love the smell of Valor and the extra benefits it offers makes it an even better choice.
  • His Aveeno Shaving Cream has been replaced by Shea Moisture Three Butter Utility Soap and the Valor scented bar soap I mentioned above.  
  • His Got2B hair gel has been replaced by Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Gel. Is it the absolute best alternative? No, as it does contain Benzyl Alcohol but it's definitely an improvement.   
My advice let your male counterparts observe the differences in you and then slowly introduce them to their own more natural alternatives.

A great resource for researching skincare products is EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetic's Database

No comments:

Post a Comment